Rachel Terry's Reviews > The Door in the Wall

The Door in the Wall by Marguerite de Angeli

May 15, 2009

bookshelves: juvie, newbery
Read in May, 2009

Spencer and I just read this together. It's set in England in the middle ages. The main character is a ten-year-old boy who is inadvertently left alone during a bout of the plague. His legs become paralyzed during his illness, and a monk finds him and takes him to a monastery to help him heal. This monk helps him find "a door in the wall" by teaching him to read, write, swim, and carve instruments out of wood. These skills help him to become a hero in the end, even though he doesn't completely regain the use of his legs. I loved that the main character has obvious physical and emotional weaknesses that everyone can relate to, but the monk teaches him that through hard work and humility he can turn his weaknesses into strengths. The vocabulary is a little tough for third graders, but it has led Spencer to read up on castles and medieval weapons--yikes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Door in the Wall.

Comments <span class="smallText"> (showing 1-3 of 3) </span> <span class="smallText">(3 new)</span>

message 1: by Linda (new)

Linda wonderful! looks like spencer just opened another door too.

message 2: by Melani (new)

Melani yikes, yikes, heads on pikes. My kids love anything about the absolutely brutal and grimy middle ages. I will have to get them this book from the library!

Rachel Terry It sounds like you've got the beginning of an intriguing poem there, Melani. Finish it! Finish it!