Jen's Reviews > The Pearl

English 7—Wildcats
Mr. Kilby
May 20, 2009

Pearl Review

This book, The Pearl, was nothing special. The book was a parable, so it did have a lesson, to be careful what you wish for, but many stories do. In this book, a poor family living in Mexico has a stroke of luck by finding what comes to be known as “The Pearl of the World”. It is described to be about the size of a seagull’s eye, which is quite big for a pearl.
The style of the book seemed very repetitive in each sentence, especially repeating words in the same paragraph. I wish the author would have used a slightly different style to write this book. In my opinion, I believe it would be better if it was written in say, first person, with the main character telling the story rather than the narrator simply explaining the events as they occur. My least favorite part was the tragic ending. I feel that if you have a story with a lesson, you might as well have learned from that and gone on with life, not have your first infant son die.
John Steinbeck has a reputation of being one of the best classic novel authors, so this was a large disappointment to me. I had heard from peers that this novel was sub-par, but it was still a bit of a shock. I hope that others have different opinions on this piece of literature; otherwise it may no longer sell in my age group.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Pearl.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stu (new) - rated it 3 stars

Stu I must say you are entitled to your opinion but, I found the book quite interesting. There is also, as I'm sure you know, a good debate over whether this is a parable of careful what you wish for and greed. Though if you think about those two things go hand in hand. You did write a good review though, I still think Steinbeck was write in the way he wrote it.

message 2: by Juntcagio (new) - added it

Juntcagio I also found the book interesting too. I think the real debate for The Pearl is greed and social oppression. One thing is that when you said " I feel that if you have a story with a lesson, you might as well have learned from that and gone on with life, not have your first infant son die." he did learn something from that, "somethings worth fighting for arn't worth fighting for." Kino found out that even though the pearl is their future, it ain't valuable anymore since his son died. The pearl destroyed his life and made him lost his child so he learned that too. I personally liked the book.