Nico's Reviews > Story of the Eye

Story of the Eye by Georges Bataille

Sep 03, 07

Read in January, 1988

I read those first few pages standing in the doorway of City Lights bookshop when I was nineteen before heading across to Specs for a whiskey. The memory of the milk and the cupboard has never left me. R and I used to read it to each other in drunken revelry walking down Columbus Avenue, delirious to be alive, ecstatic that someone was going—or rather had gone—much further than we ever thought possible. Kundera writes that a work of art does not necessarily "progress" like sciece does, but instead illuminates the unilluminated, the prosaic, the banal. Bataille did just this—his terrible honesty opened a door for me that has never quite shut.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Story of the Eye.

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Lavande Hee hee. I loved your review! Especially the part about : "R and I used to read it to each other in drunken revelry walking down Columbus Avenue, delirious to be alive, ecstatic that someone was going—or rather had gone—much further than we ever thought possible."
It just reminded me of when my friend and I first discovered Anthony Burgess, Sade, and Kierkegaard -- just ecstatic to find those thoughts so eloquently expressed in writing.

Maybe I was a little too old to enjoy the book with such fervor but it did lead me to Foucault so 'tis all good.