globulon's Reviews > The Air-Conditioned Nightmare

The Air-Conditioned Nightmare by Henry Miller

Jan 17, 15

bookshelves: books-i-used-to-own, fiction, books-i-own
Read in January, 2015

A weird book and in some ways very different from his other books but still recognizably miller. Like many who read this i appreciate his criticisms of america although i think they don't tell the whole story. It starts off extremely negative but but changes tone at maybe the quarter point and focuses more on the things he found to appreciate. I really liked the part about Weeks Hall. There's a lot about his ideas of art and artists as the counterbalance or antithesis of what he hates, and interesting discussions of several specific artists operating in America that he considers on the right path.

I thought the tone he took while talking about his car and repair efforts was funny and strangely humble compared to his usual attitudes. I think the Hollywood party was probably the worst section in the sense of just being entirely to easy and not interesting. There's a few weak spots but on the whole plenty to be glad about. I had my doubts but I'm glad I read it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Air-Conditioned Nightmare.