Heather's Reviews > King Arthur And The Knights Of The Round Table

King Arthur And The Knights Of The Round Table by Marcia Williams

May 14, 09

bookshelves: middle-ages, school-books-kid-books
Read in May, 2009

One of my boys picked this up at the library and I swear they've looked through it close to a hundred times each. I've rarely seen them look through a book this often.

We read this over a week. The illustrations are very cartoonish. The text is clear and a fairly accurate retelling of the tale. There are little cartoon bubble asides throughout most of it and my boys were rolling on the floor laughing.

I take my Arthur pretty seriously so I thought I'd hate this book. I ended up liking it and will probably purchase it for my home library. The story itself is one of the better retellings and if the goofy cartoons catch their attention, so be it. It is a fairly short book though so only the basics are covered. The boy who checked it out told me, "I'm pretty much a serious Arthur fan now. I'm pretty serious about learning more because I really like it." Woohoo.

I did appreciate how the whole Lancelot/Guinevere thing was portrayed as wrong. None of this, "But they truly loved each other so it was okay" garbage. I'd recommend you check this out from the library before you buy it. I'm not sure that everyone would react as favorably as my kids did to this.

We'll have to return it to the library soon. It will be a sad day for my "serious Arthur fan".

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read King Arthur And The Knights Of The Round Table.