Barry's Reviews > King Solomon's Mines

King Solomon's Mines by H. Rider Haggard

2320480
May 14, 2009

liked it

Reading what is said to be the grandfather of all adventure stories, I was left a little wanting. There was a multitude of things that kept distracting me from the story. Obviously, the book dripped with imperialism, racism, and sexism. However, I kept reminding myself that that was typical for the time, but that wasn't the only issue.
In the version I read, there were a few reactions to the book provided in the back. C.S. Lewis said it best, "The real defects of Haggard are two. First, he can't write. Or rather won't ... Secondly, the intellectual defects ..... though Haggard had sense, he was ludicrously unaware of his limitations." I'd like to think my response is not so harsh. The writing was weak. Haggard would repeat himself in word choice and sometimes even passages. He would spend paragraph after paragraph describing a scene, but advance the narrative little.
So, what makes this book a classic? I think that even with all its faults the book is a fun read. It speaks to the little kid in all of us.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read King Solomon's Mines.