Christine Kloss's Reviews > When the Emperor Was Divine

May 14, 2009

bookshelves: jessica-s-class
Read in April, 2009

Alex Award:

I loved this book and I think it would be a very important book for young adults to read. This is a novel about Asian Immigrants and Asian Americans living in the United States during WWII. We enter in this world where families are separated and are forced to leave all that they have worked for behind and live in camps. This aspect of the war is overlooked by the tragedies that happened to the Jews in Europe however, it is essential that it is understood that people were also being mistreated here in America. This book will allow teens to look at the prejudice in their own lives whether they receive it or give it. The characters are very believable because it is based off of true encounters and the characters are sharing the hate crimes and poverty that has struck them. I would promote this book by stressing that it was another aspect of WWII. WWII is usually something that can grab a teens attention because it is studied in school, so they already have some background information to pull from.

M, J, S

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When the Emperor Was Divine.