Andy Perkins's Reviews > There Are No Electrons: Electronic for Earthlings

There Are No Electrons by Kenn Amdahl

May 14, 09

Read in May, 2009

This book helped clean up my understanding of electricity and electrons that other analogies (like the water tank analogy) messed up for me. I appreciate how Amdahl understands that theory jargon can mask understanding. The sideshow humor and fiction can get annoying, but it is worth wading through for the clearly presented concpets on capacitance, inductance, etc..

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read There Are No Electrons.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kenn (last edited Jun 03, 2009 12:38PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kenn Amdahl Andy,
I just discovered this site and wanted to thank you (and the others) for your kind words about my book. I see some folks were disappointed in it; those folks seem to already know quite a bit about electricity. The book wasn't intended for them, its goal was to make the subject less scary for absolute beginners. That's why I included humor and little stories; consider the book more a dentist's lollipop than his drill.

Electrons has been selling steadily for nearly 20 years now, and I'm delighted that people are still mentioning it. It's never had a marketing budget. Without folks like you, it (and me) would disappear. Thank you.
Kenn Amdahl

Andy Perkins Kenn,

Wow! Thanks for taking the time to reply. Who ever thought readers and authors would have such worlwide easy access to each other?
So, I have written a book as well. It's funny I needed a book like yours to help me understand electricity better, because my whole PhD thesis was how to test electronic components in multiple environments! Check out 'Solder Joint Reliability Prediction for Multiple Environments.' You don't need to read it, but just know that you are still helping us 'experts' understand jargon. I did get lost as a graduate student because of jargon.

Kenn Amdahl Andy,
That is one expensive book! You must be really, really smart. And, obviously, a lot handier with a soldering iron than me. Hope it sells like earthworms at an early morning robin convention.
kenn