Erotic Horizon's Reviews > Loving Control

May 18, 09

bookshelves: read-in-2009
Read in May, 2009

Characters

Eli Calhoun – Take charge and utterly confident in what he says and wants, he gauges his time and strike when the time is right – but is the time right for the other party involved when he sets out to get the girl.

Maggie Berman – Hard worker, polished in her mannerism, team player – but also someone bound so tight that she might break if extreme is not taken with her.

The Plot

Working in a highly stressful job leave little or no time for Eli to enjoy what he does best - dominate. When he finds himself attracted to resident surgeon Maggie Berman – something always held him back and he has more than just instant gratification to consider.

Things have a way of coming full circle and Eli finds himself in a position where he has to make a decision regarding his feelings for Maggie and all that’s standing in his way is Maggie herself.

Maggie although a surgeon needs that steady hand to steer her, not only in her professional live but more so in her personal life. When Eli lays his cards on the table she’s scared of picking them up, as she has seen it all before and the end result is not at all that nice.

Surprise Element

I like BDSM – not the hard core stuff – but just a little bit more than the ordinary stuff. I am fascinated by the need to protect, please and exhibit that comes out in the people who take up this lifestyle.

In this book however, while i got what i expected from Eli, Maggie was just so robotic – there are reasons and issues surrounding her emotional fragility – but it was just so WOW is she real, if i pinch her will she break..

Predictability

I have read a few books by Ms. Jacob and her protags generally fall into the same category. Male – strong alpha with load of confidence and a take charge attitude that can become overbearing at times.

Her females don’t do well with me, I like a kick ass chick and these women I always feel want a kick up the ass to get them going –but hey that’ just me.

That said – the lifestyle they both lead, plays a big part in how they act, how they think and most importantly how they deal with their own personal development.

Smut/Ick Factor

The smut is of the BDSM variety with a whole of consideration for the female partner and for the male protag to some extent.

The smut itself was more vocal, so my imagination ran with it and there were a few blushing moments – i liked it. This was a fairly short book and just enough smut not to overpower the book – a good balance i thought.

Positive

I have been reading Ms. Jacob for a few years now, and i have to admit i like her angsty style, there is always some controversy or issue to deal with – she never let me down on that basis.

The attraction Eli feels for Maggie and his handling of it and his thoughts to life in general i thought was well presented – he didn’t just follow when his emotions went bump.

A lot of BDSM is about compartmentalizing and to be honest Ms. Jacob does this really well. Not only does she give her protags a life that they excel at – but they have their act together in regards to the day to day events of living.

The little by play between Eli and his work mates lends an air of the ordinary to this book, which gives some sort of balance to the book and cut through the language of Sub and Dom.

I loved how assertive Eli was to address certain fears and assumptions about what he’s into or how he differs from what Maggie has experience before.

It had enough in it to have me follow the rest of the series to see what Eli two other work colleagues get up to.

Negative

A few issues in the book was never developed whether for timing constraint or just the fact that it was a passing scene to the bigger picture – but the chance was missed - as i perked up as soon as they were introduced.

There is one scene in the book that might be too much for new readers to BDSM material, but in context – i thought it was so hot.

There is a subserviantness to Maggie that i thought was over the top but then Maggie was a mystery to me.

E.H>

Cover

When i saw the cover – i thought - is he real, i love the male form but not so much muscle, so really i did not have nice thoughts about this cover.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Loving Control.

05/14/2009 page 5
show 4 hidden updates…

message 1: by Daisiemae (new)

Daisiemae My Gosh! He is mouthwatering sexy. Look at those abs...holy *%$*!!!!!!!!

Marion Oh, he can give me a check up anytime, lol.

Auntee Daisiemae wrote: "My Gosh! He is mouthwatering sexy. Look at those abs...holy *%$*!!!!!!!!"

That forearm looks scary!:)