Jen's Reviews > Veganomicon: The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook

Veganomicon by Isa Chandra Moskowitz

F 50x66
May 14, 09

Read in May, 2009

Oh Isa and Terry! Where have you been! I am new to this dynamic duo of vegan cooks, but I am now a superfan.

My introduction came through a friend that pulled a cupcake recipe from their web site and made it for a BBQ. Between the 2 families, we have serious food restrictions (allergies for some, special diets for others) and so making a dessert that everyone could enjoy was a serious challenge. After devouring one of the best cupcakes I have ever had (not simply best 'vegan' but a best anything) I had to know more about them.

I ordered this one and their "vegan cupcakes take over the world" book. I have made about 10 recipes - dinner, side dish, couple of desserts and some muffins. 9 of them were incredible. The 10th one did not turn out as expected -- it was strawberry cobbler with a lemon poppy seed crust. With the crust ingredients stirred, I was supposed to knead it a few times and make a lattice crust. The problem is that my dough looked like pancake batter. I am guessing I mis-measured something along the way and plan to make this again to redeem myself. (Note that I just pored that batter on the strawberries and baked everything together anyway -- it was delish!)

The recipes are well written and very clear about steps and timing of actions. In the back are a few menus for various meals, these were a great way to start pairing up main dishes with sides for a cohesive plate. I am working my way through these now and having a great time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Veganomicon.