Hilary's Reviews > The World of Shamanism: New Views of an Ancient Tradition

May 21, 09

bookshelves: non-fiction, science, 2009
Recommended to Hilary by: Library
Read in May, 2009, read count: 1

Wolrd of Shamanism was an intensive study of the practice of Shamanism from a contemporary scientific perspective. Over the course of the text Shamanism was broadly defined and intricately dissected to put an end to the variety of debates that have been raging in regards to it from the 1960s forward.

The generalized practices of Shamanism are discussed (the Initiation, Shamanic Journey, healing, and psi), certain myths about the practice are denounced (i.e. all Shaman are pathological deceivers, schizophrenic, or manic), and in the end the future of Shamanic practices is discussed in light of Globalization.

The book was intensive, as I said before, and hard to get through at times due to the bulk of information inherent within it. All in all, though, I feel considerably better for having finished it. The book leaves the reader with much to contemplate in terms of the different levels of consciousness and what physical, spiritual, and mental capabilities the body posses that are yet to be discovered.

I would not recommend this book to anyone as light reading, however I would recommend it as a reference or guide to those who are truly interested in the transcendental experience.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The World of Shamanism.

05/17/2009 page 118