Rhlibrary's Reviews > Samedi the Deafness

Samedi the Deafness by Jesse Ball

May 14, 09

bookshelves: dave-s-picks
Read in January, 2007

I’m at a bit of a loss as to what to say about Samedi the Deafness. I can say that Jesse Ball wrote it. I can say that it’s a book. But I feel that if I attempted to plot-summarize, my blurb would end up running down and covering up someone else’s cartoon, and no one likes it when that happens. I also can’t very well compare it to another book, or even two or three other books. All this Kafka-meets-Cussler-meets-Danielewski business tends to not make any sense. I found it in the Original Voices section when I visited Borders. They certainly got that right.
Not only did this book make me think, but also kept me so engaged that I read it faster than any novel since Angels & Demons four years ago. One can tell that Ball began writing as a poet. His words have a rarely achieved economy to them, and he’s managed to write the most beautiful love-scene I’ve ever come across. (And I’ve “come across” Toni Morrison.) This is a must for anyone looking for an original.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Samedi the Deafness.