Natlyn's Reviews > Three Men in a Boat and Three Men on the Bummel

Three Men in a Boat and Three Men on the Bummel by Jerome K. Jerome

Jun 12, 09

bookshelves: mainstream-classics
Read in May, 2009

I read Three Men in a Boat, to Say Nothing of the Dog because I was going to read Connie Willis's To Say Nothing of the Dog and wanted to know what the relation was. Three Men … is the story of three friends and a dog on a boat trip up the Thames from Kingston to Oxford, To Say Nothing … incorporates a boat trip up the Thames made by three men and a dog and dwells on the same types of small annoyances of boating and any endeavor (such as packing) and uses the same tone of muddling through with understatement always at the ready to say nothing of the frequent diversions that leads one to understand that arriving at the destination is not the point of the novel but traveling to it is.

While I found Three Men … to be amusing in small doses, an entire novel of these fops' shenanigans was a bit much. So much so that I must confess I skipped from page 115 to 158 just in time for the not-at-all surprising finish on page 160 (with a bit of a skim for the photograph business with the nose of the boat around page 148).

I don't think I shall read Three Men on the Bummel, the sequel, as I'm sure it features more of the same. But, who knows, if I'm ever in the mood for some amusing understated fluff, I might dip into it for a score or two of pages.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Three Men in a Boat and Three Men on the Bummel.