Mo's Reviews > The Blood of Flowers

The Blood of Flowers by Anita Amirrezvani

May 14, 09

I really don't know what to think about this book. I had fairly high expectations (due to it having been compared to The Kite Runner in several places), but they certainly weren't met. Still, this definitely wasn't a bad book. It tells the story of a young girl who grows up and learns a great deal along the way. This is hardly unusual, though the fact that she learns most of her lessons by making *really* stupid mistakes makes it an interesting read. Also, I found the narrator quite a sympathetic character, despite her occasional stupidity - or perhaps because of it. I liked the way she continued to make her own decisions, in a world where no one really gave her any room to do so, and how she was rewarded for this in the end. She isn't a very complicated character, but I rather liked her simplicity and determination.

So. Definitely not a bad book. Still, not as great as I was led to believe either. It's not that anything really bothered me, it's just that something seems to be missing. I had hoped this book would really touch my heart, but after having read it it's really just another story. Still, quite a good and gripping story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Blood of Flowers.