Susan's Reviews > My Sister's Keeper

My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult

May 13, 09

bookshelves: young-adult, fiction-adult
Read in May, 2009

Anna was conceived as a sort of genetic backup plan for her ailing sister Kate, who suffers from leukemia. Anna's entire childhood has been spent donating plasma and marrow to Kate but now that a new and even bigger sacrifice is being asked of her, she's decided to draw the line--though it may end up meaning breaking her mother's heart, costing her sister her life and breaking apart her family. An intense but compelling story, the drama and complexity of Anna's predicament will keep readers hooked. The alternating points of view work well overall, but some perspectives (Anna's, her mother and father's, Kate's) definitely work far better than others (Julia's and Campbell's). Also at times I felt Picoult was a bit heavy-handed with her metaphors, but really the only thing I really disappointed with, was the ending. It felt like a cop-out on the author's part and after so much of the book was spent in boldly tackling a tricky ethical subject there was a part of me that felt this was unworthy. Sarah Dessen fans will eat this up.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Sister's Keeper.