Gardavson's Reviews > Columbine

1948060
May 13, 2009

bookshelves: at-the-library, general-nonfiction
Read from October 12 to 17, 2011

I was determined thru the book to give it a strong 3.5 stars, just because of the layout, the chronology. But the mass gathering of work this must have been! It really is a good book with lots of good information, lots to think about.

The book did not dwell on the tragicness (word?) of the tragedy. It was in there, but it didn't dwell. So I cried yes, but I didn't sob uncontrollably throughout the whole book. It consisted mainly on insight about the killers, their mentality, what that meant, and also the press coverage, how it was reported and why, and what the truth really was. I was so surprised to find so many of the things I thought I knew about Columbine were false.

You can't write a book like this and avoid the sadness. I thought going into it that I would be having nightmares and not wanting to send my kids to school. Instead I was sneaking sideways glances at them, wondering if they had characteristics of the killers. In a way, I think that's what makes this book great. It doesn't perpetuate the fear, it opens your eyes, and makes you aware. Makes you look to prevent.

The psychology of the killers was absolutely fascinating. Really well done. He did a good job of putting together a feel for the killers parents too. I imagine that was difficult given how little they have made public. There is a link on Cullen's website to a magazine article that Dylan's mother wrote. Definitely worth looking at. Dylan's mom has a gift for expressing herself.

Good book. Definitely recommend.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Columbine.