kari's Reviews > Lament: The Faerie Queen's Deception

2207055
Jun 02, 10

bookshelves: 2009, ya
Read in November, 2009

I liked this book, enjoyed the storytelling. I was disappointed by the bittersweet ending, but, even so, I think it was the right ending, even as I was holding out for the happily ever after.
I still had lots of questions when the book ended. I'm hoping some of them will be addressed in the sequel.
I didn't know how/why the aunt was able to steal her sister's voice. Did she make a deal with the faeries? How did that happen?
What makes Deirdre able to see the faeries, read minds? Why is James psychic? I liked how all the various threads came together and I enjoyed her take of the faerie world.
So, on to the sequel.
I'd recommend this for fans of urban fantasy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lament.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Albie46 Oh, I'm glad you liked this book. I had a feeling it was a good book, just not one that I enjoyed so much. I have the sequel here, and am going to try and read it soon.

kari Albie46 wrote: "Oh, I'm glad you liked this book. I had a feeling it was a good book, just not one that I enjoyed so much. I have the sequel here, and am going to try and read it soon."

The ending was kind of a disappointment but I really like her storytelling. I do think Shiver is a far better book and I was left with lots of questions but I did like it overall.

Albie46 I think Shiver was far better too. I think I read on her interview somewhere that Lament is supposed to be a five book series? Five books! That's a lot of faerie stuff to flesh out I guess.

I think one reason I didn't like the book so much was I didn't understand much of what was going on at the time. I shouldn't have read it when I was sick!

kari Albie46 wrote: "I think Shiver was far better too. I think I read on her interview somewhere that Lament is supposed to be a five book series? Five books! That's a lot of faerie stuff to flesh out I guess.

I..."

Well, now that I've read the sequel, she's going to lose a star on this one. The sequel I didn't care for AT ALL. It's all about Dee's best friend James, who has some kind of muse/sex faerie attracted to him and lots of running around and I didn't care much for it. I'm giving it only a 2.
I don't understand why James got to have his happily ever after and Dee is still just a tortured soul, not okay, didn't like it.
I still enjoy her writing style and the voice of James is wonderfully snarky and funny but this book wasn't good.