Victoria's Reviews > The Illustrated Man

The Illustrated Man by Ray Bradbury

Jul 10, 09

One of Bradbury's famous short-story collections, this book is full up with creepy sci-fi glimpses into an imagined 'future'.

Told through a surface story where an unknown man allows 'The Illustrated Man', whose entire body is covered in intricate tattoos, to stay in his house for the night. As he sleeps, the man is witness to the tattoos telling their stories; each haunting picture becomes its own vignette.

From faraway cities on distant planets, to the empty void of space, to an unassuming 'playroom' here on Earth, Bradbury uses his lyrical writing to craft Twilight Zone-esque stories: each one simple, moving, and usually with a ending that will leave you shuddering with the truth and possibility it presents.

While I didn't care for several of the vignettes, which seemed to drag for no reason, some were creepily good. 'The Veldt,' 'The City,' and 'No Particular Night or Morning,' stand out to me as three of those that kept me awake at night, both in fear and deep thought.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Illustrated Man.