Caroline's Reviews > Never Let Me Go

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro

May 22, 11

bookshelves: dystopia, nook, read-in-2011
Read from May 21 to 22, 2011

The narrative style in here was a fairly big turn-off, and I never warmed up to it. I can definitely enjoy a good first person, and while conversational/storytelling tones can annoy me, it's often done so well that I love it. Rather, in here, I felt like I was being told a really interesting story by a woman (Kathy H.) who kept forgetting what she was talking about, and would randomly reminisce about things that didn't have bearing on the story she was telling.

There are some great moments in here that she flashes back to, I won't deny that (like the scene where she was dancing to the music, and how later that plays in to Miss Emily's unfolding of the secrets), but a lot of it just felt like it was clogging up what would have been a perfectly interesting story with little anecdotes that just didn't matter.

I think if Ishiguro had spent more time in fleshing out the world and less time in showing the life of the characters in here as teenagers, I would have loved this. Unfortunately, most of this is spent showing dispassionate kids (or, in Tommy's case, explosive at times) being kids. That and, hey, another love triangle. This really was more of a character study than a dystopian novel, which was frustrating for me.

There were some things that just weren't really explained in the world--(view spoiler)

So, while it was interesting, it wasn't what I expected. I can't really fault Ishiguro for not writing what I expected, but I was disappointed.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Never Let Me Go.

05/21/2011 page 1