Jason Pettus's Reviews > At a Crossroads: Between a Rock and My Parents' Place

At a Crossroads by Kate T. Williamson

May 07, 10

bookshelves: contemporary, comics, memoir, funny
Read in May, 2010

(Reprinted from the Chicago Center for Literature and Photography [cclapcenter.com:]. I am the original author of this essay, as well as the owner of CCLaP; it is not being reprinted illegally.)

Yet another adorably cute graphic novel from an adorably cute 24-year-old hipster containing not even the slightest single bit of substance whatsoever. In this case, it's a record of the nearly two years the author spent living with her parents again as an adult, after getting back from a year in Asia and not knowing what to do with her life next; but what could've been a funny and wistful memoir about growing up (or at least a bitter and illuminating one) is instead an endless factual list of pointless minutia from this two-year period, like literally reading an operations log from the most cutely quirky military ship in history, which not even on a single page delivers even a single solitary insight into the human condition, other than that the author has an unhealthy obsession with '80s band Hall & Oates. Tolerable, I suppose, if you're in the habit of f-cking 24-year-old hipsters and need an obscure pop-culture reference to aid your quest to get laid ("Kate Williamson? I love Kate Williamson!"); but if you're not in the habit of f-cking 24-year-old hipsters, you should avoid this like the plague.

Out of 10: 4.1
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read At a Crossroads.