Melissa's Reviews > Phineas Gage: A Gruesome but True Story About Brain Science

Phineas Gage by John Fleischman

May 14, 09

bookshelves: nonfiction, young-adult, ztlib, creepy

Why would this appeal to teens? Why WOULDN'T appeal is a better question. It seems as if everyone goes through a gross phase, and this novel is absolutely disgusting and freakish. Younger students just love "Ripley's Believe It Or Not" books, and this is much like an extended version of one of those.
I think that many students will skip over the scientific explanations. High school students will already know much of it and middle schoolers may find it boring. The author offers solid basic explanations, but I don't think that all of them are tied closely enough to the story line until it gets into more actual brain science.
After reading this, I brought it into my classes that were reading Flowers for Algernon. It was a very natural link to forge between the two, both because they are each about brain surgery (sort of) and the personality of the person who lived through it changed fundamentally as a result of that surgery.
VOYA Codes: M-J-S, 4P, 3Q.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Phineas Gage.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brenchamp64 (last edited Jun 03, 2009 10:16AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Brenchamp64 I don't agree you said that middle school children might not like it. Our library teacher showed us the book and i seemed to like it. I haven't read the book yet but it seems like a wild adventure about a man who got a whole in his head. I agree that why it wouldn't appeal. I hope to keep talking to you on good reads.

Melissa Thanks for the tip! :)
Brenchamp64 wrote: " I don't agree you said that middle school children might not like it. Our library teacher showed us the book and i seemed to like it. I haven't read the book yet but it seems like a wild a..."