Lee Anne's Reviews > Vanity Fair's Tales of Hollywood: Rebels, Reds, and Graduates and the Wild Stories Behind theMaking of 13 Iconic Films

Vanity Fair's Tales of Hollywood by Graydon Carter

May 24, 09

bookshelves: borrowed-not-bought
Read in May, 2009

The Magnificent Ambersons; All About Eve; Rebel Without a Cause; Sweet Smell of Success; The Best of Everything; Cleopatra; The Graduate; The Producers; Midnight Cowboy; Myra Breckinridge; Tommy; Saturday Night Fever; Reds.

These essays from Vanity Fair magazine are full of interesting celebrity nuggets. Who knew what a womanizing jerk Burt Lancaster was? (I can't decide if it makes me like him less, or makes him hotter.) Many of the stories have interviews with the producers, writers, and directors of these good and not-so-good movies. Even the ones I didn't care too much about (Ambersons, Producers...not that they're not good movies, but I wasn't clamoring to read about them) made for good entertainment.

My only complaint is the lack of color photo spreads that usually accompany these articles--this would make a great coffee table book.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vanity Fair's Tales of Hollywood.