Rhlibrary's Reviews > Whitethorn Woods

Whitethorn Woods by Maeve Binchy

May 13, 09

bookshelves: marcia-s-picks
Read in January, 2007

A number of years ago I had the good fortune to be in Texas and attend a Barbara Bush Literacy evening. There were great speakers that evening: Richard North Patterson, Michael Crichton, President Bush, Sr...but the author who stole the evening was Maeve Binchy. She won you over immediately with a talk that came from her heart. You felt that she was your best friend and you were lucky to have her in your life. And now she has come to Random House, Inc. and Knopf has this splendid book set in a small town in Ireland poised on the edge of change. A motorway will cut through Whitethorn Woods and possibly destroy a revered local shrine, St. Ann's Well. We hear the various voices of the town and an interesting bunch they are. Binchy certainly cuts a swath through the range of human personalities—some twisted, some lovely. She is a genius at capturing human emotions. There are some extremely satisfying plot twists here, which I will not give away. You will be delighted with this very engaging read that makes you determined to be a better person. Bravo, Maeve!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Whitethorn Woods.