viola's Reviews > Paint it Black

Paint it Black by Janet Fitch

May 17, 09

bookshelves: audio, 2009, reallyreally
Read in May, 2009

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Paint it Black.

05/13/2009 page 46

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Erika (new)

Erika Peterson tried it on audio last summer...couldn't do it.

viola Erika wrote: "tried it on audio last summer...couldn't do it."

indeed- it seems like the book that you either love or hate. for whatever reason i really come down on the love side. i can't stop thinking about this book... one of these days i might just upgrade it to five stars.

why do you think you couldn't finish it?

message 3: by Erika (new)

Erika Peterson It's wierd. I guess I don't generally like female protagonists number one. I read it because I truly loved White Oleander. Maybe it was the 80's punk rock setting the misunderstood artist thing...it rubbed me the wrong way. I don't do that love stuff; I'm no mush.

viola Erika wrote: "It's wierd. I guess I don't generally like female protagonists number one. I read it because I truly loved White Oleander. Maybe it was the 80's punk rock setting the misunderstood artist thing...i..."

admittedly, she did 'the 80's punk rock setting' to fucking death. you want to scream at her the entire time 'YES. I GET IT. the main character is punk rock as a motherfucker. check.' the perfect love bullshit ends eventually as does the misunderstood artist line.

i think i love it because she does such a bang-up job showing the inside of real people. her characters are a mess and complex. they are constantly contradicting themselves, but in ways that i identify with. i don't know many authors that can keep it together so well. but that does result in a whole bunch of mush ;)