Lisa's Reviews > The Book Thief

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

Dec 04, 09

Read in December, 2009

I am not sure this book could have been published 20 or 30 years ago or even 10. For some it is a raw subject still. This book shares a context not often found in books about World War II. Many books are written from the viewpoint of Holocaust survivors or Nazi resistors. This book is the war from the viewpoint of the German homefront. What was it like as a child growing up in WWII Germany? Was it like this book? Maybe, maybe not. I am not sure that the absolute pressure to conform is there (conformance so strong that a Jewish professor of mine stated that as a child he desparately wanted to be in the Nazi Youth, at least until Krystal Nacht) or the paranoia and betrayals. What entails complicity? Who are the guilty ones? In any case, this is a great story and will give many young readers something to think about from an entirely different perspective. Older readers may have problems empathizing with those commonly seen as the enemy. My own thoughts are that war is hell for all those involved and victory is just a ruse. In the end, we are all losers, some just lose more than others. A book well worth reading.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book Thief.