Anju's Reviews > Fresh Food from Small Spaces: The Square-Inch Gardener's Guide to Year-Round Growing, Fermenting, and Sprouting

Fresh Food from Small Spaces by R.J. Ruppenthal

Jun 17, 09

bookshelves: nonfiction, from-library, gardening, food
Read in May, 2009

This book is a good introductory work for people who want an idea of what's possible. It certainly won't tell you everything you need to know, but it's a good place to start.

I particularly liked the discussions of container edibles, backyard fruit varieties, sprouting, yogurt making, and chickens. The sprouting and yogurt making are of particular interest to me since I learned to sprout mung beans from my mom, and my dad used to make yogurt at home. The book often recommends against using metal containers, but for some reason, I recall both my parents using metal containers for whatever it was they were doing, and I do my sprouting in what is quite possibly the same stainless steel bowl my mom used to use.

The book encouraged me to sprout more and to try self watering containers and other container vegetables besides my leaf lettuce. I'd recommend reading this book to get a taste of what you might be interested in trying should you want to grow/make your own food. At the very least, it's an informative read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fresh Food from Small Spaces.

05/13/2009 page 20