Ivy's Reviews > The Lord of the Rings

The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien

May 12, 2009

bookshelves: five-star-hall-of-fame, favorite-books
Read in April, 2009 — I own a copy

Published by Houghton Mifflin Company, original publishers of the American edition, this beautiful collector's edition of "The Lord of the Rings" is bound in red leatherette with blue, gold and green, folio decorations on front and back---(whether purposely chosen because the book Frodo leaves Sam of his memoirs is also red, or mere coincidence, I do not know. A great detail, just the same.) The pages are good quality with black ink for text and red ink for page numbers and chapter title headers. Also, there is a fold out map of middle-earth glued to the inside back flap of the book. A beautiful addition to your home library.
That said, I have to address some of the problems I found in my particular copy which is why this became a four star rating rather than a five. I noticed that the printing was faulty---errors like dark and light ink on the same page, some letters half printed and some not at all, as well as small ink globs. For the price I paid, I found this disappointing and do not know if others have had this problem.

Another observation: Though all three books appear as one in this edition as Tolkien originally intended, the page numbers start at "1" with the beginning of each book. I found that a little baffling, but not in a negative way. Overall it is a beautiful book and reasonably priced for a collector's edition.

I will not bother with a synopsis as most looking at this book may already be familiar with the plot and/or movies, but I will say that it is a must read for all who appreciate English literature.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lord of the Rings.