Sasha's Reviews > Nature Girl

Nature Girl by Carl Hiaasen

May 25, 09

I picked up Nature Girl because I like Carl Hiaasen's bent towward the environment. Most of his books deal with characters who spin around the central theme of environment conservation. Nature Girl was no different.

Somewhat straddling the line between maintaining a simple chain of events (Hiaasen's books are mostly deeply complicated plots with a million characters flying around) and staying true to adult fiction, Nature Girl was every bit the roller coaster I expected.

Honey Santana is a woman obssessed. She wants to make the world a better place for her son, Fry, and she goes about doing it - one issue or person at a time. Boyd Shreave is a telemarketer who sells things people don't need and Eugenie is a woman who wants a rugged man to satisfy her. All of them come together with several other colourful characters like Piejack, Perry Skinner and a very lost and confused Native American - Sammy Tigertail, on the Ten Thousand Islands. The book stays true to the history of the region, while simultaneously maintaining a plot that moves quickly and effortlessly.

My only problem with the book was the continuous focus on the upper regions of every woman's anatomy. But then it is adult fiction. And I did miss the intricate plots that I prefer from Hiaasen's earlier books.

But I was glued to this book, through two flights, two train journeys, and three car rides (I took it along for a five day vacation). SO yes, I do recommend it to whoever is in need of a light read that's extremely fast paced.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nature Girl.