Maria's Reviews > The Third Circle

The Third Circle by Amanda Quick

Apr 11, 15

bookshelves: jayne-ann-krentz-re-reads, historical-romance
Read from April 09 to 11, 2015 , read count: 4

May 13, 2009: It is hard for me to be objective about Jayne Ann Krentz, so I generally give any book of hers five stars on a first reading, mainly because I'm so happy to be reading something new by her. I wasn't halfway through the book before I came to the realization that it was going to be too short. I know nothing about psychic phenomena and generally don't like it as part of the plot, so I don't know how much of this is pure fiction and how much is research. If I keep reading these Arcane books, both past and present, I'll have to do some research of my own, however. The characters and dialogue are wonderful, so I raced through the book, skipping the sex parts as usual, which means I won't wait a full year to re-read it as I normally do. Any of Ms. Krentz's fans who do not re-read her books at least three times are really missing something. The second reading almost always gets a different reaction, and the third is just sheer fun, assuming you leave enough time between each reading. I recommend at least a year. Of course if you're one of those people who cannot abide knowing what is going to happen, don't bother because you can wait ten years to re-read one of these books and STILL remember what is going to happen. Most of them cling.

June 11, 2011: Okay, since I found this book at the Seattle Mystery Book Store and it was autographed, it went on my autographed book shelf rather than my JAK shelves. Therefore, it was more than a year before I realized that and re-read it. I was right. On the second reading, I have had a totally different reaction. I enjoyed Thaddeus and Leona more, appreciated their reactions to each other, and did not skip the sex scenes. Being able to read it at a more leisurely pace, I found the book much more interesting and have upped the rating to four stars as a result. Arcane books are still not my cup of tea, but JAK definitely is, whatever she writes.

August 22, 2013: Thaddeus's talent, hypnosis, and Leona's talent, crystal reading, were not two of my favorite possible esp's. However, I love the beginning of the book, which gets off to a fast start with a killing where Leona and Thaddeus accidentally meet over the body, not knowing if the other is guilty of murder. In spite of that, they immediately recognize something in each other that draws them together. Leona doesn't make it easy, first curing Thaddeus and then depositing his unconscious body in a wayside inn before disappearing. There's just one thing after another until you can't help but love the pace, the characters, and the dialog.

April 11, 2015: I am trying to read the Arcane Society series in order since they were published out of order and have come to the conclusion that this one is the second in the series with Second Sight being the first. I read White Lies second since JAK claims it is the second in the series but it referred to characters in the Perfect Poison, so I went there next and it in turn referred to characters in the Third Circle, so I stopped reading after the first chapter and headed for this one. That means I have to go with the reader's order rather than JAK's and will continue on that basis. As for The Third Circle, it is set in late Victorian times when rules and mores were beginning to relax for women, so that there is more leeway for the female character to behave strongly. Leona is a descendent of Sybil and provides a strong counterpoint to Thaddeus, a descendent of Sylvester. Sybil and Sylvester were rivals two hundred years before. I loved the way Leona was so wary of the Arcane Society and having anything to do with it or its members and throwing in her Uncle Edward was a nice touch. Lancing gave me chills, and I wasn't sorry to see him exit the story.
5 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Third Circle.

08/21/2013 marked as: currently-reading