Johnny's Reviews > The Baked Bean Supper Murders

The Baked Bean Supper Murders by Virginia Rich

May 12, 09

bookshelves: mystery
Read in May, 2009

Circa 100 pages into this alleged mystery, we still hadn't seen a death. There were lots of details of social life in a small New England fishing (lobstering?) community and plenty of descriptions of communal meals within that community, but none of the incidents described were such that they created much of a bond between the reader and either the character(s) that eventually die(s) or the people who might be the eventual suspects.

As the plot, such as it is, develops, the motive behind the murder(s) becomes clear. The plot development is about as subtle as a major Interstate highway. Many of the events which occur could have been predicted 50-100 pages ahead of time. And, though the protagonist manages to be instrumental in uncovering the murderer(s) [If I not going to reveal whether there is one corpse or multiple corpses, I'm not going to reveal whether there is a "lone gunman" or a "conspiracy.":], she isn't exactly the most proactive or gifted character I've seen in a mystery novel.

Though I finished this novel, I gladly left the book in a hotel room drawer for some other poor sucker. I wouldn't check out another book by this author from the library, much less buy one.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Baked Bean Supper Murders.