Madeline's Reviews > The Thing Around Your Neck

The Thing Around Your Neck by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Dec 08, 2014

bookshelves: 2009, 50-poc-in-2009, short-stories, nigeria, family, marriage-lets-you-down, revolution, colonialism, women, race, queer
Read in December, 2009 — I own a copy , read count: 1

Okay, first of all . . . I read this book much too quickly (a few hours). But it was impossible to put down, basically, and short stories are quick reads anyway, right? Now I can read the stories again. That is my excuse.

Adichie is an author I read for content, rather than style (E. M. Forster is my reading-for-content author qua reading-for-content author, and he is my favorite author so this is a good comparison). She is amazingly readable, with a clean and utilitarian style that doesn't call attention to itself. I like this very much about her work, because the content of Adichie's work is so incredibly interesting. She's a thoughtful, perceptive writer. She is sometimes softly ironic, and never self-pitying. These stories are characteristic of her writing, and they portray the balance of the world. This is not to say that she is uncritical of that balance, because she is, very much so.

My favorite stories were "The Shivering," "The Headstrong Historian," and "Jumping Monkey Hill." For obvious reasons, "Ghosts" reminded me of The Third Man.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Thing Around Your Neck.

12/28/2009 page 142
65.14% "Should probably read this book more slowly, except that is physically and mentally impossible."