H.A.'s Reviews > A Breath of Snow and Ashes

A Breath of Snow and Ashes by Diana Gabaldon

Oct 20, 2014

bookshelves: dianagabaldon, favoriteseries, historicalfiction, romance, favoriteheroes, romancehistorical
Recommended for: Outlander Fans, Fans of early American history
Read from September 27 to October 19, 2014 — I own a copy , read count: 5

This book is magnificent, like all the others in the series. But what it suffers from is TOO MUCH in a single book -- ABoSaA could easily have been two novels, with all the events therein. Every single character, all the settings, the times our beloveds are living in go through major metamorphoses. Imperative things happen that will change the course of things to come. I suspect (and lament) that for the average reader, the sheer heft of the book is too much.

For those of us who are used to it, or even LOVE it, however... there are complete stories, stories that will echo far into the future of the series. We see sides of Jamie, Claire, and their family and friends that we have never seen before. There is intrigue, mystery, danger. Sadness and joy. All the things that we love about Outlander. And most of all, Jamie and Claire. Their marriage is constantly challenged by things outside -- and even sometimes inside -- their control, but through it all, they come back, and stand strong together.

Still the greatest love story ever told in literature, imo. IN MY OPINION, please spare me the arguments. I adore this universe, and if the books get to be 100,000 pages each in tiny print, I will be there until the very last sentence.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Breath of Snow and Ashes.

09/27/2014 marked as: currently-reading