Hope Baugh's Reviews > My Abandonment

My Abandonment by Peter Rock

May 12, 09

Read in May, 2009

Wow, what a book. I mean seriously, wow. I can not remember the last time a book so thoroughly grabbed and disturbed me that I literally could not get to sleep after finishing it. (And I _HAD_ to finish it, even if I had not had to finish it for my job!)

This suspenseful contemporary novel about a homeless teen and her father living and hiding in a nature preserve in Oregon was published for adults. I think the topic will interest many of the people that liked the YA novels LIVING DEAD GIRL, by Elizabeth Scott, WHEN JEFF COMES HOME, by Catherine Atkins, or COUNTERFEIT SON, by Elaine Marie Alphin.

However, I don't know if it will satisfy them. The writing is expertly nuanced and, to me, highly satisfying because so much is said in between the words rather than by the words themselves, but to someone else it might come across as boring or inept. (Again, NOT to me!) To me, the "mistakes" in the writing make the 13-year-old narrator's first-person voice that much more believable. In other words, they are the author's artistic choice, not an artistic flaw.

So I'm still debating about whether or not this belongs in the YA department of my local public library, but it was definitely a "good read" for me. Very disturbing, but good.

2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Abandonment.

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Karlan I'm glad to see your thoughtful postings and put the books you like on hold right away. Seeing suggestions from Alex friends is great.