Kelly's Reviews > The Leopard

The Leopard by Giuseppe di Lampedusa

Jan 03, 12

bookshelves: 19th-century, examined-lives, fiction, the-continent, worlds-lost-dead-and-dying
Read in January, 2012

Hovering between 3 & 4 stars for this one. Will explain, review to come later.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Leopard.

12/28/2011 page 65
19.0% ""The fault, dear Brutus, lies not in our stars, but in ourselves." I'm just sayin', some characters in this book."
12/30/2011 page 132
39.0% ""Six months before they used to hear a rough despotic voice saying, "Do what I say or you'll catch it!" Now there was an impression already of such a threat being replaced by a moneylender: "but you signed it yourself, didn't you? Can't you see? It's quite clear. You must do as we say, for here are the IOU's, your will is identical with mine." This genre of books rarely misses a chance to get that dig in."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by John (new)

John You won't regret it, Kelly. An overflowing social portrait, full of vivacity even as it's probing into the depths of Southern Italy's sickness.

Kelly Thanks for the recommendation- I chose blindly, mostly based on the descriptions of it being about transitory things, fading things and change- I love books along those lines. I'm glad to hear a positive recommendation of the writing.

Jesse It IS all of those things, but I do hope you end up liking it more than I did. For similar themes and locale, I preferred the parts of The Garden of the Finzi-Continis that I read.

Kelly Oh no, I am sad to hear you were not a huge fan. :( I think this is one of those things I just have to read no matter what, you know? When you have a genre you're attached to, it's just the thing. I've also added the Finzi-Continis which looks great, too.

Newengland I liked this book, too, if you're looking for further endorsements.

Kelly It is always nice to get extra endorsements. I was looking at this as something that I have to check off, but it is good to hear that there may be more to it than that.

message 7: by Jude (new)

Jude I love your goals & forays. & you, of course. you take on things I know I won't now, and you send great letters back home. it's great.

Kelly Well, thanks. I'll be sure to write a letter for this one.

message 9: by Elijah (new) - added it

Elijah Kinch Spector This has been waiting on my shelf ever since I saw the film. Which, either before or after, you should really see... on a TV big enough. It's a beautiful film.

message 10: by Szplug (new)

Szplug This book is going to be my next fictional foray once I've settled accounts with Victor Serge.

message 11: by Szplug (new)

Szplug Almost definitely.

message 12: by Szplug (new)

Szplug Pretty damn sure.

Kelly I started reading this this summer but couldn't finish before school started again, so I had to put it back on the to-read. It started out really lovely though, and please do let me know when either of you read this. I didn't want to watch the movie until I read the book, but I've got that on the queue, too.

Kelly It seems to be a crowd favorite!

message 15: by Julie (new) - added it

Julie You might like "Forgotten Land: Journeys Among the Ghosts of East Prussia." I just heard about it.

Kelly Thank you, Julie. The title does at least sound intriguing, though it appears it hasn't quite come out yet. I'll look forward to seeing more info about it as people review it.

message 17: by Trevor (new)

Trevor I love this book too - can't recommend it too highly.

message 18: by Elijah (new) - added it

Elijah Kinch Spector Interested to hear your (ambivalent?) review. I will say that the movie is amazing. The book... still on my shelf, unread. Sigh.