Sara's Reviews > The Seance

The Seance by John Harwood

May 12, 09

Read in May, 2009

I put this on request from the library and promptly forgot why, so when it came I had no feelings of eagerness to jump in or anything like that. I enjoy a good gothic novel now and then and this doesn't disappoint.
I can't properly summarize the plot, it's so full of twists and turns and characters. The story is told in six installments, each a story of its own, and from a different character's point of view. I wish I'd read this in December or January - the weather would've been perfect for this atmospheric story.
This is a gothic novel in a Victorian setting penned by a modern male writer. It did occur to me at some point in my reading that this is a book essentially using the theory of the hysterical female as its plot driver, and it's written by a man. Since the typical gothic novel doesn't stray too far into the feelings and behaviors of the female from an insider's perspective, no matter if it was written by a male or female, Harwood has a convenient excuse for writing from the female perspective. I would love to have seen this written by a woman, however.
I was hoping for more of a ghost story, but was quite satisfied with the collision between Victorian fascinations with death, the paranormal, and new scientific research.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Seance.