Cassandra Kay Silva's Reviews > Till We Have Faces

Till We Have Faces by C.S. Lewis

Jun 13, 2011

bookshelves: religion
Read in June, 2011

What I think Lewis did really well in this work, was get at the heart of the inner struggles of the believer who faces the frustrations that naturally come out of living in a realm ruled by gods. If there is a god then why am I tortured by this unknowing. Why hide your face? Why conceal and confuse? Why show yourself in one form to one and in another differently. Why not answer critically questions of importance? He helps you feel what it is like to have your experiences twisted and confused. To try to interpret life through mythological eyes, and what it feels like not to see through the mask of the gods. This is a very simple, fairy tale like story, but it touches on a lot of struggles that I think people really do face when they decide to believe, or are confronted with others belief systems. It did not draw me any nearer to any form of a god. If anything it validated a lot of my frustrations, as at the end to see the gods face is supposed to be enough. All this struggle. Life is so precious.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Till We Have Faces.