Chris's Reviews > The Fountainhead

The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand

Sep 09, 07

bookshelves: books-i-discuss-as-if-ive-read

I hated Anthem so much that I vowed never to read another book by Ann Rand, but I still talk about how much I hate all of her other books, too. That's how much I disliked Anthem. I also think I have the right to hate The Fountainhead without having read it because:

a) Ayn Rand is a horrible writer. Everything I've seen by her is badly written and I don't like badly written books.

b) Ayn Rand thought she was a philosopher and injects her silly "objectionist" point of view into all her books. She wasn't a philosopher, however, no matter what her silly followers think. Cult leader, perhaps.

c) Ayn Rand's "objectionism" is simply selfishness dolled up a bit, so I will hate the "lesson" in her books.

d) I hate books with clear lessons. Ayn Rand has clear lessons.

e) Ayn Rand has such a knee-jerk, reactionary dislike of anything striking of collectivism that she makes Orwell look like a communist. Knee-jerk reactionaries seldom write good books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fountainhead.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Malbadeen (new)

Malbadeen Chris, you're killin me! My brother was just making fun of me for having read this book. He, like you, has never actually read it because he says when he hears it he just sees a collage dorm bookshelf and can't distinguish it from all the other crap that gets read.
Personally I read it somewhere between high school and college (on your coast if I remember correctly) and remember at the time really diggin on it. That being said, what I remember now is relegated strictly to talk of architecture, which was interesting in a barely-out-of-high-school-easily-impressed kind of way.
And now you make me wonder anew if it was really all that, add to it that the person that lent it to me was a little, how do you say...cuckoo-cuckoo
BUT what your comment really got me thinking about was how I heard a speaker once say that if you loved a book when you were young, you probably shouldn't re-read it as an adult because you will most likely be disillusioned. So, despite your review and my brothers scoffing, I'm sticking to my youthful guns and saying I liked it.

message 2: by Josh (new)

Josh I'm guessing the Tobias Wolff description is acurate. First, I think "Old School" probably has a lot of autobiographical elements to it, and I'm pretty sure Wolff knows his Rand. Ever since reading Old School, I can't help but think of Rand in the Tobias light.

message 3: by jared (new)

jared Moore Agreed. I cant stand Ayn Rand! It took me close to a year to read Atlas Shrugged because my eyeballs and brain were revolting against what was being forced on them.
Its apparent to me that Rand couldn't have used an editor for that book. It seemed like 200 pager in a 1500 pagers body. It just droned on and on repeating the same points. I can just imagine her smugly refusing to let anyone edit her, becuase she just wrote the capitalist torah. ech .But i did finish it, it was hard but I did it.

message 4: by Chris (new) - added it

Chris "Capitalist Torah." That's perfect.

message 5: by trivialchemy (new)

trivialchemy 'scuse me for butting in... but Jared, did you come up with that? Capitalist Torah? That is sublime. You should get that copyrighted.

And, for the record, among writers whose books I have actually read, I loathe Ayn Rand even more than Dave Eggers; and that is saying a lot.

message 6: by Michael (new)

Michael wow...it seems my avoidance of such a brick of written word was a good thing.....Capatalist Torah...wow....

James ad writer? You do know she was writing in English as a second language right? So while she may not be as eloquent as Ginsburg, she does carry one heck of a philosophy. And do not confuse Capitalism with Corporatism. Ayn was a staunch Capitalist but the current system , I assume you have a major problem with it, is actually Corporatism. Ayn would have a problem with our current way of business.

Further more if you haven't read the book you cannot in good consciousness write a "review", though you could perhaps write a "Pre-view". Your hatred for Ayn Rand based on Anthem is no less ignorant than my hatred for Ginsburg on account of his association with NAMBLA.

message 8: by Marge (last edited Jan 26, 2010 03:30PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Marge How in the world do you write a review of a book you have never read? I've never reviewed a book I haven't read, but I don't have the hubris you do (nor the hate). I think you read words, but the vision is just not there.

message 9: by Bmsarro (new)

Bmsarro I have read and reread Anthem many times. It was different than anything I was reading at the time I first picked it up. It was enjoyable and had a different perspective on society. Yet, if you open your eyes you will see that society wants us to conform and in that conformity, taken to extremes, is the crux of Ayn Rand's book...

message 10: by Rrht (new)

Rrht Dude. U are a high school teacher.. and your profile written in a funny way. REad the book and i swear u will change for better.

Kenyon Never write a review for a book you haven't read and never go to the website for the book you haven't read to leave a review about what a terrible book it is. Grow up a little, please.

message 12: by Cody (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cody Barrett Here, I'll break it down in your style.

A. You've never read the book.

B. It's "Objectivism" not "Objectionism"

C. Just because she puts her philosophical belief into her writing (as any good writer does) does not mean the book is bad because you disagree with it.

Obviously (because you haven't read it) you know nothing of the book, considering you don't even know the actual name of her philosophy it's obvious you know nothing of that either. Your attempt at a funny bashing of the book has only made you look very uneducated. As quoted from a previous response, "Grow up a little, please."

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

I have never seen an idiot reader like you..actually false reader. You don't read the book and blame for something which you haven't even tasted. You should have something in your mind to understand and appreciate the book.

Khuong I found in "The fountainhead" a life-changing messege, but i was also disappointed by "Anthem" :D For more accurate evaluation, i think, you should sweep off your previous one! I agree that "Anthem" was bad written, however, i do not view it as a serious work of Ayn Rand.

message 15: by Tom (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tom Pittman viii George Orwell was a staunch socialist (socialist not russian stalinist)....so i would think that someone who was as opposed to the state as ayn rand would make him seem more radical. Orwell was against tyranny, that is why he wrote against it in 1984, as well as imperialism and inherited privilege in his other works.