Jennie's Reviews > Starbucked: A Double Tall Tale of Caffeine, Commerce, and Culture

Starbucked by Taylor Clark

May 21, 09

Read in May, 2009

Good book - not a coffee drinker myself, but the author makes a persuasive case for being a coffee snob. I'm not a huge fan of the Fair Trade movement myself, and this author puts it into words what I have felt all along. I don't care for programs that reward all equally whether you produce good or bad - the market will resolve those issues. I do feel for those coffee farmers who are scraping to get by. But giving them Fair Trade contracts that do not encourage them to better their product is not the answer.
Course, I call for an all out boycott of the cheap stuff - the stuff that is really causing the hardships around the world amongst the coffee farmers and forcing them to turn to farming illegal drugs instead of coffee. Just sayin'.
A good read. It's funny, but I do have a lot of admiration for Howard Schultz and what he's done with that company. The section on the green apron brigade is quite entertaining.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Starbucked.