Shannon's Reviews > Cyteen

Cyteen by C.J. Cherryh

May 11, 2009

Read in September, 2008

This is one of the books that I read on yearly basis. The main story is interesting: Clone child attempted to be raised with exact history of original to see if exceptional nature of original can be duplicated. Of course, exact history can't be provided, and some of clone's exceptional intellect means she picks up on the issues the adults had with her predecessor.

The perhaps more intriguing part includes the underlying exploration/discussion related to learning (wrote learning versus learining under stress) and mental processing (does learning under stress produce more flexible thinkers?)

As always with this author, book also includes character with anxiety/paranoia to burn - always interesting to see how/if the character deals with it in order to function (or give that appearance)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cyteen.

Shannon This is one of a few books that I wind up reading again every summer or so. It raises intriguing questions about human processing (learning and application of learning to new situations), the nature of learning (under stress versus not), not to mention the actual surface story question: if a clone is raised with an experience pattern of the original, does the intelligence/drive also 'copy'? What is the difference between clones 'made' for work from batches versus clones 'made' from an individual? All from the perspective of watching the clone child grow, experience, mature, among adults with issues with her predecessor. I think I like this author because her characters tend to be so...anxious.