jacky's Reviews > What to Expect When You're Expecting

What to Expect When You're Expecting by Heidi Murkoff

Aug 25, 09

bookshelves: 2009, baby-parenting
Read in August, 2009

I've been reading this consistently since we started trying to conceive. My husband and I find it particularly fun to read the weekly descriptions at the start of each week.

We found the section on testing really helpful on deciding if we wanted to do the first trimester screening. It really followed up in more detail on what the doctor said and was a good way for me to share the information accurately with my husband who wasn't at the appointment.

So far, I agree with most women that the diet is difficult. For me, it is really the way it is presented. If I was going to decide to stick to this diet strictly, I would need like a chart that let me know which food hit multiple areas because as it is it is too overwhelming printed in multiple lists.

Other than that, thus far I have really found this book very useful. When I have a question, pretty much 99% of the time I find an answer in this book. Some things (like which kinds of fish are safe and triple checking that Tylenol is safe) I feel silly calling the doctor over and like being able to look up. Other things (like vitamins, traveling, and acne cleansers), I followed up with my doctor.

Once I hit the third trimester, I didn't I was pretty much done with this book. I read ahead about labor and birth and postpartum when my birthing class covered this topics. We discussed these at length in class and watched a couple videos, so I didn't feel the need to keep going back to those sections.

Overall, this book was extremely useful for me and I disagree with readers who say it is alarmist. Maybe if you read the thoroughly all the sections on the problems you could have, but I didn't take that approach. I only read the parts that were important to me and then used the index when I had a concern.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What to Expect When You're Expecting.

03/09/2009 page 172
26.88% "guessing on the page number since I don't have it in front of me"
03/14/2009 page 198
30.94% "finished chapter on month 3"
06/15/2009 page 276
43.13% "I've been jumping around a bit - I read ahead about labor and postpartum, but I haven't read about months 7-9 fully yet."
07/26/2009 page 309
48.28% "I have pretty much read all I'm going to except we still read the weekly descriptions on Saturdays."
show 4 hidden updates…