Ruth's Reviews > Lolita

Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov

May 15, 09

bookshelves: col-bom
Read in May, 2009

The writing is excellent; subject matter less than desirable.

I can't fully appreciate his subject matter, but Nabokov is a brilliant writer. Glad I read this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lolita.

05/12/2009 page 186

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kel (new) - rated it 1 star

Kel I have to admit that I did not persevere with this book. Good luck.

Ruth Thanks. I'm more than 2/3s of the way, so will go ahead and finish. And I don't know why. Still enjoying Nabokov's writing, but there isn't one character in the whole book I would friend on Facebook or follow on Twitter. Can't wait to wave goodbye to these folks!

SMILES

message 3: by Olga (last edited May 13, 2009 06:57PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Olga I read it and I even did reread it in Russian. I'd like to do it again some time in original English (he originally wrote the book in English but then made his own translation in Russian). This book's subject matter can be seen in an allegorical way, many people did that -- sort of "old Europe seduces the young America" interpretation. But I personally always felt that this is a story of troubled souls.

now, what's interesting, after I immigrated to the US, I started to see this story as some travel notes. I noticed similar things about the US -- ice cold drinks, a squashed squirrel on the roadside, living in one's car and motels if one desires, etc. That's the reason for me to go back and see how it's written in English.

Sorry about rambling, I hope it was OK.

Ruth Oh, thanks for your post Olga. I'm reading READING LOLITA IN TEHRAN and am wondering about their reading in a second language a Russian author writing in English. Hope you understand what I'm trying to say. Anyway, the readers in that book are giving me a different perspective on Lolita. It's one of this months book selections for the goodreads group Chicks on Lit if you're interested in reading others perspective.

SMILES

Olga Ruth wrote: "I'm reading READING LOLITA IN TEHRAN and am wondering about their reading in a second language a Russian author writing in English. Hope you understand what I'm trying to say."
I think I do. Everything can be very different, because we perceive things very differently. I know I do, depending on the language I speak and think at the moment.

I enjoyed reading some of Chicks on Lit thoughts, but I have a tendency to look more at how the characters interact and what they're doing to the plot of the novel, not at whether they're likeable. Sometimes, though, I would find a character so riveting that I'll spend time thinking about them as characters outside the book. Not sure when that happened last time.