Brian's Reviews > In Pursuit of Elegance: Why the Best Ideas Have Something Missing

In Pursuit of Elegance by Matthew E. May

May 12, 2009

bookshelves: change-and-improvement-books, read-in-2009
Read in May, 2009

I loved “In Pursuit Of Elegance” by Matthew E. May. This book will provide a basis for a whole new kind of thinking. I can not think of an audience that would not benefit from reading this book because it can apply to business, art, home-life, and many other ventures.

One thing I found brilliant about the book is that it doesn’t offer specific steps to follow. This is not a “go and do” kind of book. What is NOT in the book is what makes this powerful (and elegant). May provides many case examples with different perspectives of elegant thinking without telling the reader what do make of them. After reading chapters, I found myself applying the thinking to my own situations. Powerful stuff started popping in my head based on the principles I learned about in the book. This is a highly interactive book if you plan to daydream a little bit after you read it.

I am a big fan of his last book “The Elegant Solution” and noticed a lot of similar ideas and concepts from that book. What the author did was shake loose the Lean/Toyota anchor and make this new book more open and accessible for a wider audience. There is a lot of freedom from that decision that will make this a better book for non-Lean practitioners while still providing relevant thoughts for those who are on the Lean journey.

This book is difficult to explain the highlights because most of them came from my personal application once I understood the concepts explained. What great ideas will come to you while you read the book?
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In Pursuit of Elegance.

Stephanie This sounds like a book I would like to read, but I could not tell from your review whether you would recommend reading "The Elegant Solution" first ... or does it not matter? At any rate, I will look for May's books the next time I'm in the bookstore ...

Brian Stephanie wrote: "This sounds like a book I would like to read, but I could not tell from your review whether you would recommend reading "The Elegant Solution" first ... or does it not matter? At any rate, I will ..."

If you are involved in a Lean/Toyota Production System effort I would suggest starting with "The Elegant Solution" first.

If you are just interested in elegance or a book that will make you think in new ways, In Pursuit Of Elegance is where I would begin.