Diane's Reviews > Life Without Summer

Life Without Summer by Lynne Griffin

May 27, 09

Read in May, 2009

The beautiful cover art is what first attracted me to this book. I had no idea that I would become hooked after the very first page. I finished the book in just one day.

First Paragraph….

“There’s a thud as her little body collides with the steel fender. No scream. Just a soft sigh, a surprised breath inhaled as she’s lifted from the ground only to be returned there. I hear it happen. I see it happen. And I wasn’t even there”.

So begins Lynne Griffins amazing book Life Without Summer: A Novel.

Tessa is a young mother who can’t seem to get over the death of her four year old daughter, who was killed by a hit and run driver outside of Bright Futures pre-school in Massachusetts. Her husband Ethan encourages Tessa to see a therapist to help her through her grief. He tells her that it is not normal to sleep in Abby’s bed, with her baby blanket and stuffed bunny, after falling asleep reading a children's book.

Tessa agrees to meet with Celia, a therapist, and through those meetings Tessa makes some progress working through her grief. Trying to keep some balance in her life, she begins to open up about other personal demons in her life: a troubled teenage son, her alcoholic ex-husband, and a new husband. She continues to be obsessed with the fact the there seem to be no leads as to who the hit and run driver was, and at times is obsessed with finding out who killed Abby.

The story is told in alternating chapters by these two women. Through these therapy sessions the two women form a strong bond that helps each of them deal with issues of their own, and eventually each is in a better place mentally to make peace with their past.

Part mystery, part emotional human drama, this story is one that will have readers anxious to turn the pages and read on. Just about perfect in every way, a truly satisfying debut about grief, loss, marriage and women in crisis. I look forward to reading move books by the promising new author. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Life Without Summer.