Library Lady's Reviews > My One Hundred Adventures

My One Hundred Adventures by Polly Horvath

May 18, 09

bookshelves: children-s-fiction
Recommended for: adults who love children's books
Read in May, 2009

This was my first Polly Horvath and it will not be my last. It was not, however, a good children's book. As some have pointed out, this is a good children's book that adults will like, but probably not a good children's book that actual children will like. Like "The Underneath" the writing style and tone feel much older than what works for the intended age group. There were definitely many strikingly beautiful spots of writing and I loved the quirkiness and timelessness of the story-- Nellie was annoying but she was supposed to be that way. The story has a lovely, lazy episodic feel to it that would have made it the perfect book for summer, but the tone is just too old. Jane did not sound like a twelve year old, but rather an adult trying to sound like a twelve year old. And don't even get me started on her mother! What was up with all those fathers? I did not like the message there, nor how it was never fully resolved. The ending was just blah and the book just sort of... ended. I will not give up on Horvath and intend to read another book, but I'm sad this one did not live up to all its potential. I'm also glad the Newbery committee saw it for what it was and did not honor it! "Savvy" suffers from some of the same problems, but it was definitely better!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My One Hundred Adventures.