Luke Burrage's Reviews > The Light of Other Days

The Light of Other Days by Arthur C. Clarke
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Light of Other Days.

Luca Fenu Hi Luke, how come you rated this book only two stars? I've read it years ago but I remember it fondly... Lost my copy when I left the UK so can't read it back...

Luke Burrage The technological and science ideas behind this story were really great. I loved the first quarter or third, up until the part where the father turns to future historians and says "Hello, everyone!"

After that I remember the story falling apart. There was some fun extrapolations about society's reaction to the idea, but it felt too much like a thought experiment than a plot.

I like the bit with Jesus though.

Chris Hooking up a wormhole to mitochondria and tracing it back in time was a fun bit, too.

Luke Burrage Chris wrote: "Hooking up a wormhole to mitochondria and tracing it back in time was a fun bit, too."

True! These little explorations were great fun. But what impact did they have on the story? None that I remember. It would have worked better as a collection of short stories.

Chris True! These little explorations were great fun. But what impact did they have on the story?

Oh, none whatsoever! In fact, I honestly can't remember the story very well at all.

Luca Fenu Ok, I agree with you all. As a matter of fact, those two episodes you mention were the parts I loved the most and practically all I remember about the book.

The 'transparent' society, incidentally, was first (I believe) mentioned by Asimov, in his very similar short story 'The Dead Past' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dead...)