Jenn's Reviews > Into Thin Air: A Personal Account of the Mount Everest Disaster

Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer

May 21, 2009

bookshelves: books-owned, 2009-reads
Read in May, 2009

After watching Everest: Beyond The Limit on the Discovery channel, I started suffering from Everest fever. I'd search the internet for information on climbing Everest, I've started brainstorming on how I want to pitch to corporate sponsors...the works. A friend recommended reading this book not really as a deterrent, but just so I could see how dangerous the mountain can be.

I really couldn't put it down. I know there's a mass market edition out there, and I was a little disappointed I couldn't find it, but I have to say I'm glad I picked up the copy I did; the pictures included really added something to the story. A nice way to put faces to the names.

I know Krakauer has received a lot of backlash from writing this book, specifically from a few individuals he didn't paint in an angelic light the whole time. I usually read things very unbiased and before I found out about these feuds, I really thought he'd done a great job of telling the story from his point of view. I don't think he villanized anyone; in fact, the main guy who is so against this book is proclaimed a hero at several points in the story. There is a lot of controversy surrounding what happened at the mountain that day and to be honest, I don't think it has everything to do with people changing their stories to protect reputations. I think at that point, altitude sickness was setting in and memories are never really 100% believable at that point.

Overall, I definitely think I'll be reading this again. It's a keeper.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Into Thin Air.

05/17/2009 page 104
30.86% "Hard to put down. Started reading after the DC show "Everest: Beyond the Limit". My goal is to now climb Everest, after much prep of course."

message 1: by Henry (new) - added it

Henry Jenn, Have you read Into The Wild, by the same author? If not, and you liked Into Thin Air, you will probably enjoy Into The Wild (a true story by the way and made into a film)

Jenn I actually haven't read Into The Wild yet, but have been planning on it for awhile. I actually heard about that book before this one, although a friend begged me to read this one first. I even held off on seeing the movie version of Into The Wild until I could read the book :D

message 3: by Henry (new) - added it

Henry I skipped the movie. The book was too good.