Juliette's Reviews > The Magician

The Magician by Michael Scott

May 11, 09

Read in May, 2009

I picked this up at the library while looking for another book. I thought it was a stand alone book since nothing on the outside or on the inside of the book really signifies that it is the second book in a series. Reading through the first chapter I didn't get the feeling that I was really missing anything, just the feeling that the events re-capped were too good to have not been written about. When I flipped to the back I realized that I was reading book II. It was too late though, this book had totally captivated me in it's characters and fantastic creatures. I believe it far more difficult and entertaining to take characters and creatures already in existance and put them in a real setting with a fictional story line, than to make everyone and everything up. This series is like Harry Potter + Historical Fiction. I will most certainly go back and read the first book and the third is to come out within the next month or so.

In this book the reader finds Nicholas and the twins in Paris running from Dee and Machiovelli. Sophie the female twin has had her powers awakened and is learning new skills as her brother is dealing with the jealousy and loneliness that his sister's new powers have given him since his powers have not been awakened. Meanwhile Perenell Flamel is a prisoner on Alcatraz held captive by a sphinx who drains her powers. She is not the only prisoner on the island.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Magician.