Mina Villalobos's Reviews > The Zombie Survival Guide: Complete Protection from the Living Dead

The Zombie Survival Guide by Max Brooks

May 13, 09

bookshelves: horror, not-finished
Recommended for: no one
Read in May, 2009

Managed to get to page 29 -the beginnings of the third chapter- and I am still bored to tears. There are many incongruities within the first 3 chapters, the attempts to make it 'real' by claiming scientific investigation and coming completely empty handed read very 'oh look what a smart book', I didn't find the humor in it, it doesn't teach you anything new about zombies if you're already familiar with zombies -by which I mean, it's just a lot of rehashed cliches and nothing new. I also found it rather annoying to read a survival guide that's 'In case of a catastrophe expect the US Army to show up, or their equivalent in other countries'. Eh, maybe that's just me, but I thought that when dealing with a global threat like zombies, a 'survival' guide wouldn't be just about the US -I mean, maybe the tactics could be, but there's no need to single out a country. And that bit about voodoo zombies, what the hell? It seemed inaccurate, not funny and disrespectful. Houngans don't go around making zombies in bunches, not so you could make 'experiments' or confuse them with a zombie infection outbreak! A bit of research on voodoo wouldn't have hurt. Well, anyway, it annoyed me. The narrative was repetitive and not very entertaining. I'm usually all about the zombies and I tend to be very obsessive about finishing books, but I just couldn't be bothered with this one. So. There it is, dropped!

ETA: How, oh how is this the same dude who wrote World War Z??? how can one be so fun and easy to read, and the other so damn boring and inconsistent???? World War Z is everything this book is not. Read World War Z instead.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Zombie Survival Guide.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christine (new)

Christine Aww, man, I was looking forward to your review of this since World War Z sounded so awesome. That sucks that it sucks. :( Zombies should never suck!

message 2: by Mina (new) - rated it 1 star

Mina Villalobos I wanted to like it so much, but.. it seemed like it just glossed over things everyone knows about zombies -or, well, erm, everyone who cares about zombies, at least- instead of adding to it, and since it was not a narrative style, it wasn't even very compelling. Just.. stuff, lying there. It seemed like a chore to read, and nothing zombie-related should ever be a chore!