Kathleen's Reviews > Entwined

Entwined by Heather Dixon

Mar 08, 13

Read in March, 2013

Wow! I just finished this and I am very impressed. This book has strong, compelling characters, a deep back story, interesting and slightly scary magic, and a plot that pulled me into the book and kept pulling me back every time I had to put it down.

I don't know of any other books by this author, so this is a strong start if it's her first. I hope she's working on more books whether fairy-tale retellings or more original stuff.

Again, I say, wow!

If you love retold fairy tales, read this one. I've read other retellings of the Twelve Dancing Princesses and enjoyed them very much, but I have to say that this is broader and deeper than them all, and a rich, amazing experience.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Entwined.

Brooke Shirts Oh, so glad you enjoyed this one! Yes, this is Heather's first novel (she's currently revising a second); she grew up in my parent's ward and was good friends with my little sister in high school (I had already moved out of the house by then). She comes from a family of 11 kids herself, so I thought it especially fitting that she chose to retell this particular story.

Funny thing: she's also a storyboard artist for an animation company in SLC, and sees writing as her secondary occupation (not fair!!). Her blog is illustrated with art based on the book and is quite entertaining: http://story-monster.blogspot.com/

Kathleen Thank you, Brooke.

I've been following her story-monster blog for a while, and have enjoyed it, too. That's how I heard about ENTWINED and decided to read it. So glad I did.