Sandy's Reviews > When the Heart Cries

When the Heart Cries by Cindy Woodsmall

F 50x66
May 10, 2009

Read in May, 2009

Hannah Lapp was so in love with Paul Waddell. The problem was that she had been brought up in an Old Order Amish family and Paul was brought up in a Mennonite home. Hannah's family would never approve of their hidden engagement. As the two make plans that will gain Paul's approval of Hannah's father, tragedy strikes. Hannah is attacked and raped by a stranger.

Hannah's world is completely turned upside down. Her parents fear the judgments of the community and the bishop so they decide to keep the attack a secret. Suffering in silence, Hannah discovers she is pregnant. As rumors begin to fly through the community, Hannah is treated as the person who sinned instead of the one who was sinned against.

This book is quite sad and invokes strong feelings as you experience Hannah's pain with her. I was deeply encouraged by Hannah's faith in a God that loves her even though she hadn't been raised to have a personal relationship with Him. I was also inspired by the few friends that stayed loyal and true to her.

I'm looking forward to reading the other books in the series to learn what happens to Hannah.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When the Heart Cries.

05/10/2009 page 37